This is a small complement site to another site called "It Probably Wasn't Important Anyway". Here I'll expand upon my movie listings on the parent site and make some informal, stream of consciousness notes on my thoughts. Think of it as Gonzo movie reviewing.

Tuesday, August 17, 2004

eXistenZ(1999)

Directed by David Cronenberg

Starring: Jennifer Jason Leigh, Jude Law, Ian Holm and Willem Dafoe

Hmmm... Where to begin. I think that the 'Directed by' title is very useful in discerning whether or not I want to spend my time on a movie. If the movie is by a director whom I am familiar with then I pretty much know what I might be in for. As with a Michael Moore film I know largely what I may be in for: Politics, humor, his 'truth' to get his point, etc. ad nauseum. Such is the case with David Cronenberg. If you are unfamiliar with Cronenberg, don't start here. I would suggest Spider or The Fly. This isn't because the latter are better movies than eXistenZ just that they may be more accessible to the uninitiated.

Having been exposed the several of Cronenberg's films, and liking most, I decided now was the time to rent this DVD from Blockbuster. They have quite a few of Cronenberg's other works and eXistenZ has me excited to see more of his work. I am glad I invested 97 minutes of my life. This is truly a unique experience. If you take all the reality shifting from Total Recall, the pseudo philosophic babble on reality perception from The Matrix and then rewrite it so it makes sense and is actually ... Well, written well... And then add the "Cronenberg factor" you might have an idea about this film.

This film is about a reality warping interactive video game. The game console is an organic tissue that resembles a uterus with handles and switches that look like nipples. The game attaches to your central nervous system via an umbilical cord apparatus that connects to a vagina(remember that 'Cronenberg Factor'?) like thing in your back, called a Bioport. One must lube the port in order to properly insert the cord( so its a lot like sex). Then the game starts and you are in. The only trick is once you get out are you really out.

This is the pickle that Jennifer Jason Leigh and Jude Law find themselves in... The trick for the viewer is to spot when they think the game begins and reality ends. Is it at the 5 minute marker when you see them first implanting themselves into the game? The so called Denouement the 'reveals' the true nature of what you are seeing? Or has the game never stopped? Are we just seeing a slice of the game play from beginning of picture to end of picture? Has the game already been under way long before the film started? And who is to say that the ending we see once the credits role is really the ending at all?

The problem I have with this movie is that the 'game-play' itself really does seem like a beta test version of a well intentioned by badly scripted video game. I have played quite a few games in my time, and as my brother and all his friends and even Drew here are real hardcore gamers this film seems right up our alleys. Also, I'm fairly certain that they know what I'm talking about when I say "All your Base..."
Yeah, some of the plot twists seem like the worst of game cliches. Things invented just to get the plot moving. The real fun thing is that the movie acknowledges this fact and almost pokes fun at it... So, it works. Sort of.

So is this movie worth your time? Well as its only 97 minutes and the pace isn't to slow I would say yes. But I doubt you will get the same level of enjoyment from it as a fan or someone familiar with Cronenberg's past works. But I could be wrong.

As a fan of his work I really enjoyed this film. The atmosphere and tone are set by the color use, camera angles and Howard Shore's creeping score. The acting seems strangely stinted but not in a way that annoys... It more projects a deeper meaning. Consider that most of the people in the game are actual gamers that are acting characters in the game(a theme disgusted in the film) then the performances take on a weird Vaudevillian element. Every Cronenberg movie leaves me wanted to see more of his work. My hope is that you feel the same way too. If you do then I suggest and recommend eXistenZ.

-N

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home