This is a small complement site to another site called "It Probably Wasn't Important Anyway". Here I'll expand upon my movie listings on the parent site and make some informal, stream of consciousness notes on my thoughts. Think of it as Gonzo movie reviewing.

Monday, July 26, 2004

The Thin Man (1934)

Directed by W.S. Van Dyke
Starring William Powell, Myrna Loy and Maureen O'Sullivan.

"Waiter, will you serve the nuts.(pause)
I mean, will you serve the guests the nuts?"

A rich rather eccentric inventor goes missing. His mistress is killed. The cops think he done it. Some more people turn up dead. Cops still think he done it. His daughter(O'Sullivan), she no think so. Enter Nick & Nora Charles(William Powell and Myrna Loy).

I adore this movie. What I love most is that the movie doesn't really dwell on the mystery, but on the Charles's. They banter, they drink, they banter some more, they drink some more. I don't think there is one scene where Nick Charles isn't drinking something. And looking damn cool in the process.

This movie has more wit and reposte than most "smart, clever" modern comedies. And the movie isn't a comedy. Its not really a mystery either. Its both. Its a comedy(smack). Its a mystery(smack). Its a Comedy and a Mystery! And it works!

What really makes this work is the chemistry between Myrna Loy and William Powell. They play off each other better than Abbott and Costello. Better than Martin and Lewis. Better than all four Marx Brothers(and yes I include Zeppo, think Monkey Business). They work so well together that one totally forgets what the film is about. The film isn't meandering. Quite the opposite. Today's filmmakers could learn a bit about pacing from this piece. Its practically breakneck.

To paraphrase George Segal: They'll come for the murder mystery, they'll stay for Nick & Nora. Not only will you stay but you will want to come back to them for all 5 sequels.

Nora Charles: You know, that sounds like an interesting case. Why don't you take it?
Nick Charles: I haven't the time. I'm much too busy seeing that you don't lose any of the money I married you for.


July 25
Bedroom; Evening


N

2 Comments:

Blogger Drew said...

Nick, may I first say that that is an absolutely brilliant use of a Chinatown reference?

And second: I think I saw The Thin Man in Mrs. Brave's film class, but I only remember bits of it. Guess I'll have to pick it up from the library or rental place. *sigh*

11:30 AM

 
Blogger Nic said...

Ah-thank-yoo

Sadly, there are precious few DVDs with WIlliam Powell. The only Thin Man on DVD is the first one. Also available are My Man Godfrey(Criterion) and The Great Ziegfeld which also co-stars Myrna Loy. All three are ab-fab and are great additions to any library. The first two more so than the latter.

What I would KILL for would be a copy of Love Crazy. Powell and Loy are a married couple. She wants a divorce, so Powell pretends insanity because under New York state law you cannot divorce an insane person... she figures he is bluffing so she has him locked away in a mental asylum and then Hijinx ensue. I saw it on Turner one night. Fucking Unbelievable.

12:07 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home