This is a small complement site to another site called "It Probably Wasn't Important Anyway". Here I'll expand upon my movie listings on the parent site and make some informal, stream of consciousness notes on my thoughts. Think of it as Gonzo movie reviewing.

Monday, July 26, 2004

The Bourne Supremacy(2004)

Directed by Peter Greengrass
Starring: Matt Damon, Franka Potente, Karl Urban, Joan Allen and Brian Cox

Let me begin by saying this: If you really liked the first one(Bourne Identity) you will probably like the sequel. Now... I sorta liked the first one. Sorta. There was something about it that... Well I just did not connect with. Its a good movie but for some reason I was less than enthused about it.

Now, what do I think of the sequel? I Love This Movie. This movie KICKED ASS. This may be the best movie of the summer. And I am not giving exaggeration. I would love to discuss the finer points of the plot, but anything other than what the trailer shows is a disservice to the film.

The first movie revealed a wizard behind the curtain. This movie dares to show you MORE CURTAIN. That's right folks. There are other, more sinister(usually Russian) people in charge this time. And they bring big guns. Big giant FUCK OFF ones.

In the first one, Bourne said under no uncertain terms that if the CIA came after him ever again he would retaliate. They do. He brings the guns and the car chases. People die, things explode, there is lots of chop-chop karate smash-fu. This movie is worth seeing just to see the Moscow car chase. It almost out does John Frankenheimer's Ronin in terms of car chases. Almost.

There is a lot to say for Peter Greengrass(director). He uses a lot of out of focus, shaky handheld. And for this piece it really works. There is an immediate intimacy that sucks me right in for the ride. Bourne Identity wants to keep you at an arms length. You want to get closer but it doesn't let you. Bourne Supremacy does the opposite. It grabs you, throws you in the car, forces you to ride shotgun, and then a car chase breaks out. With up close gun fire.

July 23
Starplex Theatres; Evening


N

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home