This is a small complement site to another site called "It Probably Wasn't Important Anyway". Here I'll expand upon my movie listings on the parent site and make some informal, stream of consciousness notes on my thoughts. Think of it as Gonzo movie reviewing.

Wednesday, July 14, 2004

Days of Thunder (1990)

Director: Tony Scott
Starring: Tom Cruise, Robert Duvall, Nicole Kidman, Randy Quaid, Cary Elwes

* * *


With Jerry Bruckheimer and Tony Scott on a film, it's a safe bet that the film will be pretty macho...wait...yeah; scratch that. Very macho. And so this is: once again Cruise has a need for speed as he did when the previous film the trio teamed up for, Top Gun; this time he just doesn't say it outloud. Thankfully. I'm not one to shy away from a macho film, generally speaking, and when I see the name Robert Towne in the writing credits I start getting hot flashes. Bob Towne wrote such 70's classics as Bonnie & Clyde (uncredited), The Last Detail, Shampoo, and one of my favorite films: Chinatown. With Days of Thunder, however, I think I started to wane when Tom Cruise and a rival driver drive rental cars at top speed down a public beach and slam into each other--destroying the cars in the process, of course--as they fly along the surf on their way to an important dinner appointment. That...that ruptured my suspension of disbelief right there. That was kind of...dumb. Other than that, it's a somewhat enjoyable--if straight by the book--sports film. You've got "the coach" (Robert Duvall) who seeks redemption for a dark secret in his past. You've got "the underdog/hero" (Tom Cruise) who can do incredible things if he only believed in himself. You've got "the hotshot/antagonist" (Cary Elwes) who always wins but doesn't have the heart that "the underdog/hero" has. Et cetera. It's enjoyable because Tony Scott tends to bring that shit. And bring it he does. It's nobody's best work, but for the popcorn-chomping thrill ride it admits to be, it's pretty fun. I recommend a large popcorn and lots of butter to saturate your brain so you don't think too much.

July 13
apartment TV, evening

* * *


D

1 Comments:

Blogger Nic said...

I suddenly feel the need to saturate myself with Tony Scott movies... TO BLOCKBUSTER!!!

1:00 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home