This is a small complement site to another site called "It Probably Wasn't Important Anyway". Here I'll expand upon my movie listings on the parent site and make some informal, stream of consciousness notes on my thoughts. Think of it as Gonzo movie reviewing.

Friday, July 09, 2004

Anchorman: The Legend of Ron Burgundy (2004)

Director: Adam McKay
Starring: Will Ferrell, Christina Applegate, Paul Rudd, Steven Carell, David Koechner, Fred Willard

* * *


I was wary walking into the theater for this one. My expectations were high. The trailers looked great. I was a fan of pretty much all of the actors and actresses, but Dodgeball had really fucked it up. I walked in with somewhat high expectation with that one and walked out realizing I should have just watched the trailer again and saved myself some time and money. Anchorman was marketed at the same kind of audience and even included some of the same cast. Hmmmm.

What I saw, however, made me want to wet myself. Luckily I've had complete bladder control for over five years now or I would've. How can you not laugh at a movie so brazenly absurd. There's an animation sequence about Pleasure Land or some such nonsense. The newscast rumble featured in the trailer escalates into absolute chaos with some brilliant use of celebrity cameos. Christina Applegate holds her own with some heavies of improv comedy and does a fantastic job. And who doesn't love a movie that makes fun of everything but makes fun of itself most of all. Going in, know that there is no message. It's basically some of the funniest people in showbiz given a big check and allowed to do whatever they want. I won't (and can't even if I would) describe how funny this film is. It's like the Marx Brothers on crack. Go see it. That's it.

[UPDATE: I forgot to mention that there's a lot of stuff in the trailer that doesn't make it into the movie. Look for some kick ass deleted scenes when the DVD comes out.]

July 9
Arclight Theaters, early evening

* * *


D

1 Comments:

Blogger Nic said...

Marx Bros? On Crack? With Fred Willard??? SOLD AMERICAN!!!!

Tomorrow night... oh yes... oh Yes!

12:00 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home