This is a small complement site to another site called "It Probably Wasn't Important Anyway". Here I'll expand upon my movie listings on the parent site and make some informal, stream of consciousness notes on my thoughts. Think of it as Gonzo movie reviewing.

Friday, July 09, 2004

Thief (1981)

Director: Michael Mann
Starring: James Caan, Tuesday Weld, Willie Nelson, James Belushi, Dennis Farina

* * *


I can't say that I enjoyed this Michael Mann film as much as I've enjoyed, say, Ali or Heat. I can say it takes huge leaps in narrative logic. The heist parts fare well as they are, but it's Caan's dealings with Weld's character that don't make any sense. Her first appearance in the film is when Caan walks up to her and asks if the two of them are going out that night. Affirmitive, and he'll pick her up at eight. Okay, they're dating. Nah. It's his first time going out with her. Because he's two hours late, he physically assaults her, and they go to coffee. And so on. Mann's films demonstrably got better as he got older. Nick will argue my stance on this movie, but I just didn't buy it.

July 7
apartment TV, late night

* * *


D

1 Comments:

Blogger Nic said...

I have just now rewatched Thief. The movie is clunky in bits, but overall is a nice bit of hardboiled caper/mob fun. What I found particularly enjoyable was James Caan's performance. His character, Frank, starts running scores for a Chicago heavy. In return for his work, and being the bosses 'boy', Frank and his wife(whom admittedly is miscast and the relationship isnt 100% believable, at the beginning anyhow) are given availablity to adopt a son, get a house, and set up a normal life. But then Frank wants out... and really all this is the movie.

What really resonated with me was Caan's character of Frank. Frank is a tough SOB, a man of action, yet an overall good man. He is a theif with honor. The ass clowns he is currently working for are theives without honor. Their paths intersect in a very exciting and violent conclusion. I like it. I cant really go into much detail without giving it away, as it were.

Not for all tastes, but if you are a Michael Mann/Jame Caan fan I suggest checking this out. This is the debut feature by Mann. And, indeed his work got leaps and bounds better. (see Heat, The Insider and Ali for proof of this)

4:42 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home