This is a small complement site to another site called "It Probably Wasn't Important Anyway". Here I'll expand upon my movie listings on the parent site and make some informal, stream of consciousness notes on my thoughts. Think of it as Gonzo movie reviewing.

Sunday, August 29, 2004

Shaun of the Dead (2004)

Director: Edgar Wright
Starring: Simon Pegg, Kate Ashfield, Nick Frost, Lucy Davis, Dylan Moran

* * *


Here's the film that Broken Lizard's Club Dread should've been. Instead of a horror film with comedic elements, Shaun of the Dead is a comedy that references horror films. The humor in this film shows the wit and sophistication of the shows on British TV, but the guys and gals who created "Spaced" show what they can do with a bigger budget and less content restrictions in their hilarious homage to great (and terrible) zombie films. The film's tagline essentially says it all: "A romantic comedy. With zombies." except with less romance and more comedy.

I'm unable to describe the film without either giving away plot or givng away punchlines. Needless to say, this was one of the funniest films I've seen all year. In fact, I watched it three times already in just two days. It's worth every re-watch, too. This film must be the perfect party film, and you need not be a zombie movie fan to enjoy this one. It helps if you want to get the dozens and dozens of references in the film, but this one pretty much stands up on its own. It's utterly fantastic. See it.

August 29
computer, early afternoon

* * *


D

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Damn you! I've wanted to see that movie for months and I can't seem to track it down. I laughed so hard at Spaced and the idea of the same minds doing Zombie?!

Good lord am I jealous for your three viewings.
~Eric

12:12 PM

 
Blogger Drew said...

It's more like five viewings now. MUHUHAHAHAHAHAHAH!

9:09 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home