This is a small complement site to another site called "It Probably Wasn't Important Anyway". Here I'll expand upon my movie listings on the parent site and make some informal, stream of consciousness notes on my thoughts. Think of it as Gonzo movie reviewing.

Sunday, August 29, 2004

Collateral(2004)

Directed by Michael Mann

Starring Tom Cruise and Jamie Foxx

Man. This was THE best movie of my summer. And No I haven't been able to make it to the small Indie films as I normally do, but somehow I doubt that would have much mattered. The notion that Hollywood pictures aren't as edgy or whatever as an independent is crap. Especially when that said 'Hollywood' picture is directed by Michael Mann.

Michael Mann has got to be one of the best American directors of the last 10 years. His body of work should speak for itself. Thief, Last of the Mohicans, Heat, The Insider. He even created TV shows Miami Vice and Crime Story, thereby giving the 80's style and Dennis Farina. Anyone that helped Dennis Farina into acting should be given a big hug. And a Trophy. With Boobies on it. Big ones. Where was I?

The main crux of this film is the relationship between Tom Cruise and Jamie Foxx. Tom Cruise(Vincent) is on fire. This is his best performance in years. Its right up there with Magnolia, Born on the Fourth of July, and Interview with a Vampire. Its also as viscous as his turn in Last Samurai. However, much like Samurai Cruise is eclipsed by his costar, Jamie Foxx(Max). Really this is Jamie's movie. He shines. It makes me anxious to see Ray.

Half way thru I sorta wanted Vincent to get away with it all. Really. I didn't like the guy, but I understood him. I also started to really care about Max's fate. When you care for the characters the action means something. The idea that Max might actually get killed, or that Vincent would follow thru on his threats kept me totally riveted.

A lot of critiquing was made about the ending. Some said it was so awful that the whole of the film suffered. Others said it was contrived and disappointing. They would all be wrong. If you didn't see that ending coming from a mile away, especially after the opening, obviously you don't pay any attention to structure or economy of Character. I mean, why else introduce jade Pinkett Smith that way? What did you THINK the movie was going to do with her?

Also, much was said of Jamie Foxx's character. How the movie relied on him too much for too many things. And that what he was asked to do was unrealistic etc. Two principles of Movies come to mind: 1)The amateur will get you every time. Go watch The Shootist for proof. 2)Anyone is capable of anything at any time. All it takes is pushing the right buttons. Keeping these two things in mind, Jamie's turn of character in the second act for the thirds ultimate and inevitable conclusion is neither unrealistic or anti-climatic. As has been said by other critics(No, I'm not talking about Drew. I respect his point of view. But Leonard Maltin? NO).

This is a movie that makes extensive use of style. For some it might be a bit too much style over substance. I'm sorry but its a movie. There should be more style over substance. Otherwise we get what I call "Books on Film." Or a Merchant Ivory film. BORING. Wastes of my time. I'd rather go read the books or whatever those 'films' are based on. You know, like the first Harry Potter movie.

True there is a balance that one can find within style vs substance. And Mann found that better in Heat. However, Collateral plays fast and loose. Like the best episodes of Miami Vice, or Homicide or NYPD: Blue or [insert good show here]. Collateral has more life and energy than any other film this summer. Compared to Collateral half the fare this year lays on the screen like the abortions they are. Riddick, Van Helsing, Catwoman, Shrek 2. Bullshit. Lifeless wastes of time and celluloid.

Yeah, someone ought to give Michael Mann a trophy. He finally gave the cinemaplexes something they needed. Collateral is a fierce trip of a movie. Go. Watch. Enjoy.

-N

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home