This is a small complement site to another site called "It Probably Wasn't Important Anyway". Here I'll expand upon my movie listings on the parent site and make some informal, stream of consciousness notes on my thoughts. Think of it as Gonzo movie reviewing.

Friday, July 02, 2004

Avalon (2001)

Director: Mamoru Oshii
Starring: Malgorzata Foremniak, Wladyslaw Kowalski, Jerzy Gudejko, Dariusz Biskupski, Bartek Swiderski

* * *


When I saw a preview of this film on some Manga Company DVD, I was instantly fascinated with the film's visual style. A friend of mine watched it a while ago, however, and told me not to bother. A while later, and I've bothered. I'm very glad I did. This film reminds me in many ways of Oshii's earlier Ghost in the Shell and of a film by Andrei Tarkovsky called Stalker. The similarities between Avalon and Shell are pretty obvious as you watch the movie. Both are action films that feature a dark haired, detached woman as the lead. Both films ruminate on the distinction between a reality and a virtuality: in Shell between cyborg (A.I.) and human and in Avalon between reality and virtual reality. Obviously Oshii is interested in these places that are in-between such as when artificial intelligence develops autonomy and/or emotion or when a game, Avalon, straddles both virtual and reality. I drew comparisons with Stalker also not just because of the similar aesthetics of the two films--they both have a sort of sepia tone during parts--but also the deliberate pacing, the absence of a great deal of dialogue, and the quest for what is essentially the Holy Grail with respect to either film. If you go into Avalon expecting a fast-paced action film, you'll surely be disappointed. If you going into it expecting an Oshii movie (and are a fan of his work), you'll be delighted with what you get.

July 2
computer, late evening

* * *


D



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home